Thursday, March 15, 2012

Letter to My Younger Self

If you could tell your younger self what you know now, what would you say? 


This was exactly the question to answer in this Letter to Your Younger Self project for the Science Club for Girls


As a woman in science, what would you tell your younger self about the challenges and issues they will face? What have you learned? 


Here is a quote from my letter: 
"Second, talk to the people who do the jobs you think are interesting. I can’t stress enough how important mentors have been in my life. Talking to people in the area you want to be in is a great way to learn if that is what you really want to do and how to get there. How do you get a mentor? Find out who does the jobs that you’re interested in and then let them know you admire what they do; this will start a conversation. Ask questions about their research or recommend a good book or documentary on shared topics of interest.
My mentors in marine science and education have helped me find a path to graduate school, helped me get jobs, and helped me network with other great people all over the country. Some have become colleagues and many have become friends." 
Its important for us women in science to advocate for each other and encourage and support the next generation. Who can you mentor? 


Read my entire letter here at the Science Club for Girls website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment